Saturday, September 21, 2013

Pancake Perfection!

Again, I'm featuring a breakfast food because, well, it's my favorite meal of the day AND I also wanted to show you that there are tons of different ways to eat a healthy breakfast.  Today I'm talking about pancakes.  I typically hate pancakes.  The pancakes I remember eating at restaurants as a kid were doughy, sugary, artificial tasting and covered in syrup that also tasted artificial.  Sound familiar to anyone?  Not tasty and CERTAINLY not healthy.  

In this post I offer you a quick, inexpensive and healthy alternative to the infamous pancake.  First, the dough.  I'm posting two pics of the pancake mix I used, one of the package and one of the ingredients.  We'll go over both.

I like Nature's Path Multigrain because they do the best they can at using the best ingredients.  It is not only ORGANIC but also NON-GMO certified, which these days is very important.
So the ingredients...Overall, I'd rate them about a B on the A to F scale.  I love that they use whole wheat flour but am not too thrilled about the cane juice, whey powder or monocalcium phosphate (which is added calcium and phosphorus for leavening).  The sodium bicarbonate is just baking soda. So besides making the batter yourself-with whole wheat flour, this is the next best option in my book!
So the instructions are simple: 

Again, I stole this picture because my son ate the pancakes I made before I could snap a pic. I'll do better next time! Thanks cheekykitchen.com!

Ingredients

Pancake mix
Canola oil
Ripe banana
Slivered almonds (raw, unsalted)
Carob chips (or chocolate chips if you want, I just went with a vegan option)
Shredded coconut (unsweetened)
Vanilla extract

Options: any other random fruits or items you like to eat. peanut butter might be good in there as well!

Directions:

Follow instructions to make the basic batter. I believe it's 1/2 cup of dry mix to 1 3/4 cup of cold water plus 2 tbsp canola oil-but I may be wrong so just check.  It's super easy and I usually double it for my batches.

To the bowl with the batter, add all the rest of the stuff.  Stir it until mixed well and banana is all mushed up in there.

Spray a non-stick pan with cooking spray or use butter or whatever you like to grease it up.  Use a spoon to dollup the mix in there and DON'T TOUCH THEM until the sides are bubbley.  Then it's ok to flip.  The other side cooks quick so have a plate ready.  I would regrease pan before next batch.

Once they're done I just serve them up as is. No frills, no anything needed.  Fresh berries would be a great side or maybe some added coconut, but really they can stand alone.  That is why I love them!

No comments:

Post a Comment